As the weather gets warmer, the desire to get outside and enjoy the fresh air begins to take hold. Having a place to entertain or just unwind can add a new dimension and enjoyment to your home.
First, you have to decide what type of space you want to create. Whether you want to have an outdoor living room, a vacation-like spot or a place to meditate and enjoy nature, how you extend your living space is limited only by your imagination — and possibly your budget.
Start with your vision and make a list of the things you want to have there. Then go for it!
Choose a Theme
- Vacation spot – Decorate with bright colors for a festive, tropical look.
- Zen garden – Add a water feature, such as a fountain, for a calming effect.
- Nature hideaway – Surround a patio or porch with plants and trees to bring nature closer to your home.
Find Elements to Enhance Your Space
- Furniture – If your outdoor zone isn’t completely under cover, then make sure to choose all-weather furniture. Comfortable seating is key, so add pillows or cushions for extra luxury.
- Lighting – String lighting throughout the trees, under umbrellas or around fencing to create atmosphere. It also helps to make sure you can see where you’re going once the sun goes down.
- Outdoor kitchen – Bring the food with you! Keep it simple with a BBQ grill or add other elements like a refrigerator, sink and food prep area. And, don’t forget the beverages!
- Fireplace – Extend your outdoor evenings into the fall by adding a fireplace for friends and family to gather around.
- Borders – Define the borders of the area to increase privacy and separate the space from the rest of the yard or neighbors.
Your Connecticut home is an extension of your personality. Creating an outdoor oasis can give you an opportunity to find your inner child, Zen master, or beach bum!
Make it as simple or elaborate as you desire, and open it up to friends, or keep it all to yourself. Follow these simple tips and create a wonderfully relaxing place right at your home for the summer.